looks good but a few questions

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I ask in advance for patience if I ramble. I have little choice in that because that is just me. ANYWAY ...

I am in the process of converting a rather large VB6 project over to c#. In the old project I used the WSH extensively using the vbscript object. Love the way I could just compile it and keep plugging objects into it, have the script manipulate them and go on. Often I could declare an object static and keep plugging different instances into it and firing a subroutine to let the script know. For example in my print output I use scripting to modify text and bitmaps through other libraries I plugged in. LOVE that capacity and it added so much more versatility to my application.

So my quest is to duplicate the same feature in my new c# based software. Trying to understand the dot.net world of scripting is a confusing and murky place, at least for me. My understanding is microsoft still supports vbscript and jscript but it is still using COM and all the marshalling that comes with that wouldn't be great for my project. I do like that my existing vbscript stuff could continue for the customers too stubborn or lazy to convert to javascript. Often I see allusions one should use PowerShell to replace their vbs stuff but that just seems to be for bat and utility files run on the command line. Bottom line though is any usage of vbscript seems to be disdained as antiquated so should be avoided to maintain my newly acquired dot.net hipness. If you don't care for the IActiveScript COM solutions you have to look outside of Microsoft for solutions? In my research it appears this ClearScript is a competitor to Javscript.NET which is also build on Google V8 but your project is alive and from what I can gather a cleaner more c# friendly implementation. The other options seem to be JINT and Jurassic which have merits but reputed to be much slower than V8 plus varied reports of quality and usability. SO.. at the moment it seems this clearscript project is maybe my best candidate to replace the WSH functionality I used in my old code?

While I am wishing is there anyway to implement an editor that would use hints and syntax highlights with this code?

I am downloading it to play with it. My feedback will be much less sophisticated than some of your other posters but I will comment for sure for sure.

TGIF!
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Edited Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Welcome notahack!

Love the way I could just compile it and keep plugging objects into it, have the script manipulate them and go on.

From your description it sounds like your VB6 application implemented various features that it made accessible to VBScript code, and that you could also directly invoke VBScript routines from VB6. If that's correct, then yes, ClearScript aims to make similar things very easy to do in the .NET world.

SO.. at the moment it seems this clearscript project is maybe my best candidate to replace the WSH functionality I used in my old code?

ClearScript's benefits include its support for both JavaScript and VBScript, its use of V8 for fast JavaScript processing, its support for script debugging, and its goal of making script-to-host interoperability and data exchange as seamless as possible.

While I am wishing is there anyway to implement an editor that would use hints and syntax highlights with this code?

If you're talking about an in-application script editor, the .NET platform gives you reflection, which might be useful for hints, but you'd have to find another library to help with syntax highlighting, as ClearScript doesn't provide shallow parsing or tokenization services.

My feedback will be much less sophisticated than some of your other posters but I will comment for sure for sure.

We welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing more about your project!
Mar 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM
I am definitely going to give this code a whirl but I am being stymied by the need to compile it in 2012. I tried to install 2012 studio express but it crashed my system so hard I had to go into recovery and rollback to a previous check point. Maybe that was a glitch but it FREAKED ME OUT! I don't dare do do that on my development system since I don't want to break my 2010 studio. I did look at your source and it is very professional and elegant looking. All in all the effort just has the smell of quality about it.

Why don't you provide binaries?
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Ouch, sorry about your experiences with Visual Studio 2012 Express. If you're short of machines, one possibility might be to use a clean Hyper-V or VMWare virtual machine, something that has worked for us in the past.

Thank you for your comments about our code!

Why don't you provide binaries?

There are a number of reasons, mostly related to company policy. At Microsoft, perhaps ironically, it is much easier to release source code than binaries. Binary releases must be vetted in many ways that don’t apply to source code, they must be signed, they must have certain support resources in place, etc. Distributing anything in binary form requires the participation of many people across the company. Some Microsoft open source projects are backed by teams large enough to handle this; ClearScript is not. We apologize for any inconvenience.