Strong Name

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to get a strong named version of ClearScript? I want to use it in a Visual Studio extension, which requires the assembly (and hence all its dependencies) to be signed. I'm currently using Chakra (IE's engine) via Active Scripting but I'd rather use V8 (especially with all the nice features ClearScript provides).

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Hi Dan15,

We'll take a look at strong naming for the next release. Originally we weren't sure about the value of strong naming in an open-source project, since we'd be distributing the private key. However, it appears that strong naming is a requirement in a number of deployment scenarios, so it may be useful even without its security guarantees, as long as the user understands that.

Happy holidays!
Jan 5, 2014 at 2:53 AM
One possibility is to keep a development key in the repository, and sign official releases with a key that isn't in the repository.
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Hi Dan15,

Actually, we don't release official binaries. What we've decided to do is add optional support for building strong named assemblies using a key pair supplied by the builder.

Cheers!
Jan 6, 2014 at 3:46 AM
If you don't release official binaries, who's responsible for the ClearScript packages on NuGet?
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM
All NuGet packages are provided and maintained by their owners. Please see the package page for owner information.